Windows 7 machines are horrible at accessing Windows XP machines. Removing all permissions, restrictions, security settings, etc doesn't consistently solve the problem.
This has been a problem plaguing me ever since my company was forced to have XP and 7 machines on the same network. Well, a friend of mine found this website that seems to have the solution.
I am copying the major portion of the fix here so that I don't lose it. Hope this helps someone!
After running rsync for a short amount of time, I discovered that I was getting memory allocation errors related to the Windows share. After unmounting, I attempted to remount the share and received the error:
mount error(12): Cannot allocate memory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
After checking the Event Viewer System log, I found the following error:
Event ID: 2017
The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations.
Some research led me to find this Google Groups discussion about the problem and this Microsoft Technet article discussing the solution (look at the bottom of the page).
Apparently you need to tell Windows that you want to use the machine as a file server and that it should allocate resources accordingly. Set the following registry key to ’1′:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache
and set the following registry key to ’3′: